Skip to main content

Why We Need to Normalize Healthy Food

 Why We Need to Normalize Healthy Food

By: Kori McKenna


      

    The staple of every meal in most households is meat, bread, and a portion of overcooked vegetables. This has been the norm for what seems to go back in time. Did you know that America eats the most meat more than any other country compared to some countries 12 times the amount of meat? 
    
   If it's a special occasion or just your average meal out on the town, meat is included. When I first became vegan, my grandpa came over for a holiday meal; there was no meat on the table. He ate the dinner but complained about no meat. He then said he would stop at Burger King on the way home to get his fix. 

     It seems like people eat one serving of vegetables and indeed think it's enough. They complain that vegetables are for rabbits and nasty, but nutrition facts and vegetables, fruits, and legumes are the best things you can provide to your body to keep it functional. 

     Just because we were lied to about what healthy food was in the past doesn't mean we should continue this unhealthy lifestyle. It is essential that we see food for what it is and not for what we want it to be. People wish for tasty food, but the food is for survival and not taste. However, vegan foods have complex flavors, just like meat; we must learn to cook with these ingredients by using meat substitutes and seasonings. 

    When you eat vegan, your body is provided the nutrients it needs to be functional and healthy for your whole life. When you eat meat, dairy, and processed grains, there is almost no good nutrient profile. Comparably the better option is vegan versions, so why fill your stomach with empty nutrition? Again, for taste? You will need to train your taste palate. Let your guards down and control yourself. You can do it! 

     There are vegetables and fruits I'd never touch, but being vegan, my palate has changed. I now eat flavors that I didn't like.  I hope for a future where eating the right foods will bring joy and happiness to you as it does for me. Bad habits are always magnetizing but let's start making a chain reaction of good habits that will contribute to healthier humans and a healthier planet.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diary of Psoriasis: My Experience Tracker Pt.1

 Diary of Psoriasis: My Experience Tracker Pt.1 By: Kori McKenna In this photo, if you look closely, you can see my hairline has "snowflakes."   This is the first time I have talked about my battle journey with psoriasis, eczema, and similar skin conditions. My first struggle with skin conditions started with scalp psoriasis when I was a child. I also had many skin rashes growing up. Now I am in my mid 20's, and I have scalp psoriasis, rashes, and eczema.      When I went to the doctor as a child, they gave me Head and Shoulder shampoo, which did not keep my scalp psoriasis at bay. Sometimes my scalp would go into remission, but that is a rare occasion that comes and goes. There is no cure for psoriasis.      Recently I went to the doctor as a young adult(Age 23), and they prescribed me three topical medications. The doctor says I have Seboherroic Dermatitis on the front of my scalp, face, and inside my ears; then I have plaques of psoriasis on the sides and back of my sc

Five Ways To Beat Depression

  Five Ways To Beat Depression By: Kori McKenna Depression gets the best of everyone at some point. Here are some tips to help get you out of the funk. This is especially helpful as seasonal depression is at its peak this time of the year. 1. Give yourself something to look forward to. At points, this is hard when there might not be anything to look forward to. I say, make something happen so you can find hope or enjoyment in something, even if it's something small.   2. There will never be a perfect time, so it's time to complete dreams, goals, and hobbies that you have put on hold. It's good to have your best interest in mind and start working on yourself.  3. It takes time and practice to get out of depression. If you have fallbacks, it is essential to keep a positive mindset and quickly move forward from setbacks. Resilience and consistency will boost your confidence and help keep you out of depressions.  4.  We have to learn to let go of things we can not control. Take