Skip to main content

Sliding Into Autumn Traditions

Sliding Into Autumn Traditions

By: Kori McKenna


    It seems Autumn is everyone's default favorite season, doesn't it? It's the "white girl's season," as many social influencers have suggested. Everyone has hopped on the bandwagon of Pumpkin Spice and everything nice during this season, including Ugg boots.  Fall has always been a season of tradition, and it's perfectly fitting to celebrate such. What is not to love?

    First, the temperature change is undoubtedly an excellent reason to love Autumn. It's the perfect temperature, and the landscape views are breathtaking this time of year. Living in Northern Michigan, I can attest to the beauty this season brings, not just within the landscapes but within people's souls. Something about Autumn has people slowing down and taking the time to enjoy life a bit more, perhaps the fact that it's so cold we have no choice but to live under a blanket and around the campfire!

    My first fall traditions are starting as the weather has dramatically and increasingly changed from Summer to Autumn in the blink of an eye.  Windy and rainy days, sunsets early, and cold weather. My first soup is in the making for next week; my favorite; Butternut Squash soup. Yes, it's soup season, and of course, Chilli Soup is next on my list. I first tried Butternut Squash Soup at Panera Bread three years ago, and I fell in love with it. I had to start making it at home, and it has proven to be a favorite in my household. I make it in the slow cooker. Yummy!

    Of course, next on my list is a pumpkin patch, corn maze, apple cider, donuts, Halloween, and carving pumpkins. Im sure this is what your list looks like too! In the midst of all of this, I will be taking long walks in my sweaters and jackets, making sure to breathe in the crisp air of the new season. Grab some friends to enjoy your activities with! We all know those movie marathons are also extensive this season.

   I'm at a standstill and will be enjoying what's in front of my face while I can. Fall is definitely my favorite season and has been for quite some time, so take the time to enjoy it because it won't be back for another year. 

    Let me know in the comments what your favorite fall traditions are!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diary of Psoriasis: My Experience Tracker Pt.1

 Diary of Psoriasis: My Experience Tracker Pt.1 By: Kori McKenna In this photo, if you look closely, you can see my hairline has "snowflakes."   This is the first time I have talked about my battle journey with psoriasis, eczema, and similar skin conditions. My first struggle with skin conditions started with scalp psoriasis when I was a child. I also had many skin rashes growing up. Now I am in my mid 20's, and I have scalp psoriasis, rashes, and eczema.      When I went to the doctor as a child, they gave me Head and Shoulder shampoo, which did not keep my scalp psoriasis at bay. Sometimes my scalp would go into remission, but that is a rare occasion that comes and goes. There is no cure for psoriasis.      Recently I went to the doctor as a young adult(Age 23), and they prescribed me three topical medications. The doctor says I have Seboherroic Dermatitis on the front of my scalp, face, and inside my ears; then I have plaques of psoriasis on the sides and back of my sc

Five Ways To Beat Depression

  Five Ways To Beat Depression By: Kori McKenna Depression gets the best of everyone at some point. Here are some tips to help get you out of the funk. This is especially helpful as seasonal depression is at its peak this time of the year. 1. Give yourself something to look forward to. At points, this is hard when there might not be anything to look forward to. I say, make something happen so you can find hope or enjoyment in something, even if it's something small.   2. There will never be a perfect time, so it's time to complete dreams, goals, and hobbies that you have put on hold. It's good to have your best interest in mind and start working on yourself.  3. It takes time and practice to get out of depression. If you have fallbacks, it is essential to keep a positive mindset and quickly move forward from setbacks. Resilience and consistency will boost your confidence and help keep you out of depressions.  4.  We have to learn to let go of things we can not control. Take